Time after time, Lance threw blows at me, and I dodged them, playing to my strengths. I was fast, I was light, and I wasn’t afraid of playing dirty. I was small and flexible and—as Lance muttered at one point—completely insane. The bond let me predict his movements, but it did little for letting him track mine, because even I didn’t know what I was going to do next.
“Again.”
I was really beginning to hate that word.
-----
There’s four of us and one of him.” After a brief moment’s pause, she amended her head count to better reflect our real odds. “Three and a half of us, one of him.”
Three and a half, as in three werewolves, one human. I narrowed my eyes. “For your sake, Lake, I’m going to pretend that Devon is the half.”
Dev, unquestionably the strongest person in this room, just shrugged and let me keep my delusions. “It’s because of my petite stature,” he said. All 6′ 4″ of him.
----
Leaning back against the pool table, Lake preempted my next request. “Weapons?” she asked, all business.
“Anything that will help us secure the perimeter. I’m thinking some strategically placed explosives wouldn’t hurt.”
Some people lived for the phrase strategically placed explosives. Lake was one of those people.
“On it.”
----
“For a genius thief, you really are a stupid girl, aren’t you?” “Yeah.” Kat closed her eyes. “I am.”
---
“What makes you think that Valentine’s change of plans had anything to do with Raven?” “Because,” I said with grim certainty, “only he can piss someone off that much.”
---
Still holding him by the arm, she looked up at the Doctor, fighting back her anger. She knew it ridiculous, but it was hard—so hard—to be reasonable when it was someone that you loved.
----
I can’t say what my first thought was as I sunk below the surface, because it was mostly a string of four-letter words.
---
“What's a little thing like revolution between friends?”
----
“Now, if they got everything they liked, they would be spoiled,” she told Dove. “And nobody likes spoiled regents.”
----
Emily watched her as she stood. “Be careful.”
Finley grinned at her as she swung her leg over the cycle she’d chosen and sat down. “Careful? Where’s the fun in that?”
And then she found the mechanism to make the beast move and she tore out of the stables without a backward glance.